Community Based Organizations: New Funds Available for Home Retrofits

Authors: Parin Shah

I'm writing to tell you about an exciting opportunity to do A LOT of residential retrofits in your community. HUD has a $5 billion program called the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) that we can use for retrofitting and redevelopment in communities hardest hit by foreclosures. Below is some basic background info and a list of state NSP contacts.

Please note that the application deadline for states has passed, and the public comment period on these applications and proposals may be closed in some states. But don't despair, as we think that the final state/city plans approved by HUD will be broad enough to allow grantees to fund green jobs proposals, even if the plans don't specifically mentioned green jobs. We encourage you to call your state government contact and ask them to dedicate some funds to residential retrofits.

What Community Based Organizations can do:

  1. Get the latest information on this program so you are knowledgeable about the opportunity: Read our Memo to Community Partners
  2. Contact your state government representative . Ask them to dedicate some funds to residential retrofits, and ask them how you can be notified once funds are available to do the work.

The Neighborhood Stabilization Program, in brief:

The Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) a new, emergency federal program from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, is providing $5 billion to communities hardest hit by foreclosures.

Some of that money will go towards residential retrofits, an opportunity to put graduates of green-collar job training programs work making homes in hardest hit communities more energy efficient.

It will enable states, counties, cities, and their partners, including nonprofit organizations to

  1. Acquire and/or rehabilitate or redevelop foreclosed homes for homeownership or rental,
  2. Re-use or redevelop urban property, and
  3. Establish land banks to stabilize neighborhoods, among other activities.

In order to obtain allocated funds, each state or eligible local government was required to publish a proposed amendment to its 2008 action plan by November 15, 2008 and to provide a public comment period of at least 15 days. Each grantee submitted its amendment to HUD by December 1, 2008.

Now that public comment periods have closed, community based organizations can still apply to their state governments for funding under the NSP program.

More resources on the Neighborhood Stabilization Program:

Funding Allocations at a Glance

Guide to NSP Eligible Uses

Instructions for Grantee Submissions

The NSP Web Site

Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

Donate Sign Up Take Pledge