Communications Manager - Green For All
Position Title: Green For All Communications Manager
Reports To: Green For All National Director
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Oakland, CA or Remote for the right candidate
The Dream Corps brings people together -- including very unlikely allies -- to create a better future for all. We work to close prison doors and open doors of opportunity. While always acknowledging the “battle ground” issues that divide us, we focus on the “common ground’ solutions that unite us. Social challenges -- and solutions -- do not exist in silos. That’s why #cut50, Green For All, and #YesWeCode share a platform: to maximize impact and create new opportunities. We support economic, environmental and criminal justice innovators all under one roof. Our shared platform helps leaders create synergies, leapfrog obstacles and maximize impact.
About Green For All
Green For All was founded by CNN political commentator and former Obama White House advisor, Van Jones. Van started Green For All in 2007, to build an inclusive green economy strong enough to lift people out of poverty. Today, we do just that - through smart climate and clean energy policies that build green infrastructure, create green jobs, and improve health conditions for low-income communities and communities of color. We use strategic communications, distributed organizing, and partner and influencer engagement, to build public support for the solutions we need most.
Green For All is seeking an experienced communications strategist to lead our media relations, communications, and narrative change work.
This is a decisive moment for the future of our people and planet. The Communications Director will play a critical role in helping to turn big, ambitious narrative change goals into clear, coherent strategies to build broad public support for clean energy solutions, while building the profile of our leaders. A successful candidate will be someone who can think creatively, is an excellent writer, has proven success creating and implementing communications campaigns, and is driven by results.
Media relations is a key aspect of the job, as is the ability to lead communications projects that engage celebrity influencers, use video and other multimedia to deliver our message. We’re looking for someone who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and has the skills and experience needed to hit the ground running.
- Manage a national communications campaign to shift the national conversation around climate change and clean energy, to build support for real solutions.
- Produce messaging materials and draft content to support advocacy goals (i.e. draft Op-Eds, talking points, scripts for video, messaging guidance, and more).
- Develop a strategy to raise the profile of our CEO and National Director.
- Identify and cultivate celebrities and key influencers to participate in our communications campaigns.
- Identify new and creative opportunities to amplify our message and increase the organization’s profile.
- Oversee production and printing of published materials, such as reports, toolkits, factsheets, and event signage to ensure brand consistency.
- Oversee production and development of video, brand assets, website, and other communications projects, as needed, with support from in house staff and outside vendors/consultants.
- Coordinate with communications staff at partner organizations to support joint communications projects (i.e. press conferences, joint press releases, open-press actions or events, etc).
- Assist with content development (i.e. talking points, communications/messaging materials, scripts, etc as needed).
- Occasional travel may be needed to support Green For All press events in the United States (e.g., press conferences, high visibility events)
- 3+ years of communications experience with increasing responsibility
- Media relations experience, including writing, pitching, and booking
- Ability to understand complex policy issues and communicate clearly for different audiences
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent writing skills
- High attention to detail and high personal standards for work quality
- Ability to think positively and problem solve
- Ability to think strategically and to execute
- Ability to work productively independently and manage time efficiently in a remote environment
- A demonstrated commitment to racial and economic justice
- Climate or clean energy policy experience a plus
- Spanish language a plus
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter describing why you want to work at Green For All, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “GFA Communications Director - YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
The Dream Corps is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and inclusion at all levels.