Authors: josh -- Sign up for Recovery Email Alerts important notice to weatherization agencies about Davis-Bacon Act wage provisions of the Recovery Act. According to the notice:In this edition you'll learn about an exciting green jobs victory in Indian Country on Tuesday, an update on prevailing wages for weatherization projects, details about state-level implementation of two key Recovery programs, $3 billion in direct payments for renewable energy projects, and a webcast next Wednesday on economic analysis for renewable energy. 1. NEWS: Navajo Nation Passes Historic Green Jobs Bill On Tuesday the Navajo Nation Council voted to create a Navajo Green Economy Commission! This is a major step towards creating hundreds of jobs on the Navajo Nation. Green For All is proud to have provided technical support for this effort. Read the press release from The Navajo Green Economy Coalition: 2. NEWS: Update on Weatherization Prevailing Wage Determinations Department of Energy Weatherization and Intergovernmental Program Manager Gil Sperling just sent an
- DOL will be establishing a "weatherization worker" labor category under the Davis-Bacon Act and issuing prevailing wages for that category.
- All weatherization agencies must promptly complete a survey about locally prevailing wages for weatherization work.
- After all surveys are completed, the DOL will make standard prevailing wage determinations - likely by mid to late August.
- In the meantime, local agencies may use Recovery Act funds to begin weatherizing homes as long as they pay at LEAST the wage level of another DOL classification most similar to the work performed. See wage levels here - http://wwww.wdol.gov/index.aspx.
- Agencies will not be penalized if they pay lower than the eventual wage. If the DOL prevailing wage determinations are higher than what they pay, agencies will be required to retroactively adjust compensation for Recovery Act fund payments.